IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Christmas / new year holidays. A question to all.
Rating 5 V
dilia
post Dec 12 2009, 12:17 AM
Post #1

Main Assistant
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 4

I have a question to all of you. We have many people here from different countries, so I hope to get many answers.

Maybe you know Russian Christmas is not at 25th December. It happens at 7th January. I won't go deep into the history why it's that. I just say It happened because of calendar change and orthodox church traditions ages ago. At the times of USSR the holiday has lost its importance, and New Year occupied its place. Santa, correctly Grandfather the Frost and his granddaughter Snegoorotchkah bring gifts to russian children at the New Year night.

After USSR falls, people have started old traditions over again and Christmas holiday has been reborn.

Since then we have a long Christmas/ New year vacations. In this year officially 10 days off from 1st to 10th January. Some people are displeased because of it, they say that no one country does not let people be lazy so long.

So my question is: do you have christmas/ new year vacations in your country and how long they are?

Go to the top of the page
Add Name in post
+Quote Post
Reny
post Dec 12 2009, 01:09 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,313

Hello, dilia! In Germany 25th and 26th December are the "Great holidays", but most people think that the 24th December (Christmas Eve) ist the most important day, because in the evening the families celebrate together and the children get their gifts.

Usually 24th december is a "half holiday" that means the shops are opened until midday, but most people don't work.

We do not have officially Christmas vacations, but in the days between 26th december and 31th december many companies close. But these are no paid vacation days.

31th december is a "half holiday" like Christmas Eve and January 1th is free.

The children have about two weeks Christmas School holidays.

In some regions of Germany January 6th is an officially holiday, too, but not in all.

--------------------
Add Name in post
+Quote Post
iamjustme
post Dec 12 2009, 08:15 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

Group: Kolobok Fan
Member No.: 2,318

Hi there dilia! Here in Mexico we have two official days of vacation, which are December 25th and January 1st. However, schools and government offices close the two last weeks of December. Lots of people plan their vacations in those days. So, this year, the vacation will start on Friday December 18th and normal activities will return by January 4th...

In my case, I'll rest only on December 25th and January 1st, and will have "half holiday" days on December 24th and 31th, as well as Reny.

--------------------
Add Name in post
+Quote Post
Dooris
post Dec 12 2009, 03:17 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Group: Friends
Member No.: 3

Цитата (iamjustme @ Dec 12 2009, 06:15 AM) *
Hi there dilia! Here in Mexico we have two official days of vacation, which are December 25th and January 1st. However, schools and government offices close the two last weeks of December. Lots of people plan their vacations in those days. So, this year, the vacation will start on Friday December 18th and normal activities will return by January 4th...

In my case, I'll rest only on December 25th and January 1st

Same here in States

--------------------

За Джентельменов с большой буквы
Add Name in post
+Quote Post
DrDeisel
post Dec 12 2009, 05:30 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 4,363

Here in Canada, the official holidays are December 25 and December 26 (Boxing Day) and January 1. Most companies also close early on December 24 and December 31, but they are not required to do so, and several close from December 24 - January 1, some with pay, some without. Schools are closed from December 21 - January 1.

Everything is back to normal on January 2.

This post has been edited by DrDeisel: Dec 12 2009, 05:33 PM

--------------------
Cheers,
Add Name in post
+Quote Post
dilia
post Dec 13 2009, 01:21 AM
Post #6

Main Assistant
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 4

Thank you for answers, guys. If someone wants to say about christmas vacation in his country, welcome to the thread.
Add Name in post
+Quote Post
Fugz
post Dec 13 2009, 06:17 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 1,955

New Zealand.
December 25 and December 26 (Boxing Day) and January 1.
Schools are finished around 11th December and go back towards the start of February. Of course it is summer down here - down under - so this is our "long break".

--------------------
If at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished.

Add Name in post
+Quote Post
dharma
post Dec 22 2009, 02:31 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 3,361

Цитата
Here in Canada, the official holidays are December 25 and December 26 (Boxing Day) and January 1. Most companies also close early on December 24 and December 31, but they are not required to do so, and several close from December 24 - January 1, some with pay, some without. Schools are closed from December 21 - January 1 Everything is back to normal on January 7.

also in italy give_rose.gif

--------------------
> My Blog <
Add Name in post
+Quote Post
vesperala
post Dec 22 2009, 10:11 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

Group: Kolobok Fan

Member No.: 2,990

QUOTE (DrDeisel @ Dec 12 2009, 04:30 PM) *
Here in Canada, the official holidays are December 25 and December 26 (Boxing Day) and January 1. Most companies also close early on December 24 and December 31, but they are not required to do so, and several close from December 24 - January 1, some with pay, some without. Schools are closed from December 21 - January 1.

Everything is back to normal on January 2.

usually is like this here too.

but this year schools were closed 1 week earlier, because the world crisis affected our system and the government decided not to pay teachers 4 days every month. no money, no work.

--------------------

Add Name in post
+Quote Post
Zava
post Dec 23 2009, 08:09 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 2,847

In the USA it depends where you work - but most are out Christmas Eve and Christmas Day; New Years Eve and New Year's Day
I'm out from Dec. 19 to Jan. 3 - counting weekends pardon.gif

Add Name in post
+Quote Post
RoseDst
post Dec 26 2009, 12:55 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 4,497

Well I was raised by my German grandmother so Christmas eve the 24th is bigger for me,and Dec 25 we eat a lot english_en.gif

--------------------
Some mornings its just not worth chewing through the leather straps!
Add Name in post
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd March 2019 - 01:37 AM