Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Identity theft ... sort of
viannen
post Jan 23 2008, 03:12 AM
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Artist
Member No.: 1,273

I just made a strange discovery. For some time now, I've noticed a large number of hits from what appears to be a support forum for recovering alcoholics in my server stats. They were referrers, in other words hotlinks to an image on my site - specifically, my signature smiley. Intrigued, I did a little investigating and found that this person is not only using my signature, but also my user name (which is an amalgam of my real name and the initial of my surname), and is thus posting in various places around the web. nea.gif

I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but it's bothering me a little. sad.gif I mean, it's somewhat unlikely that this user and I share name and initial (it's not a very common name), and using my signature Kolobok to boot, makes it feel even more "invasive". Am I being very ridiculous to let it bug me? pardon.gif
Has this sort of thing ever happened to any of you?

--------------------
Namasté,

You can't choose the world you live in, but you can choose how you live. You can't choose what they may take away, but you might choose what you give.

Go to the top of the page
Add Name in post
+Quote Post
Just Cuz
post Jan 23 2008, 04:14 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 195

QUOTE (viannen @ Jan 22 2008, 06:12 PM) *
Has this sort of thing ever happened to any of you?

Almost...

My uncle had a name he used exclusively for sites where he did emoticon and/or graphics work.
He'd used it for two or three years before he was informed that someone else was using the very same moniker on a very raunchy "adult site".
He felt that eveything he had created under that name was now 'tainted'.

I had only begun to make smilies, so he decided to start using MY name.
We shared my username (which also happens to be a play on my real name) for roughly a year.
In fact, he was the one who originally registered the name on this board.
Eventually, he stopped making smilies and I resumed sole ownership of the nick "Just Cuz".

I know there are other people around the Net who use the same name, but I haven't run into any with such 'questionable' ethics. wink.gif

--------------------
Aiwan is my hero.
Add Name in post
+Quote Post
viannen
post Jan 25 2008, 02:11 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Wow. Your own uncle filched your handle? I'd have been a bit mad at him, I think. pardon.gif As for my Doppelgänger, I'll just ignore it and hope that whoever it is behaves themselves on the Net.

--------------------
Namasté,

You can't choose the world you live in, but you can choose how you live. You can't choose what they may take away, but you might choose what you give.

Add Name in post
+Quote Post
Seda
post Jan 25 2008, 02:26 PM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,625

Well Viannen, I can understand very well your feelings.

Did you try to write an email o message to this person telling him/her about your feelings? maybe that will not be a solution, but i think you should try it and see what happens. It's your name, your signature, it's a part of you that this person is using.

--------------------
A hug's a way to share the joy
And sad times we go through,
Or just a way for friends to say
They like you 'cause you're you.
Add Name in post
+Quote Post
Just Cuz
post Jan 25 2008, 02:29 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 195

He didn't exactly filch it.
He just said, "I'm gonna start using your name."
And I said, "Uh... ok."

I mean, he'd tought me most of what I knew about making smilies.
So the things we made were pretty similar anyway.
We became a sort of a smiley-making team.
Even if it was only for a while.

--------------------
Aiwan is my hero.
Add Name in post
+Quote Post
Aiwan
post Jan 25 2008, 09:21 PM
Post #6

Don
Group Icon

Group: Godfather
Member No.: 1

Once which one user I has added in the list ignored. He the beginnings from my name to offend people at different forums. Thus he informed, that he Aiwan from my site. I have found about him everything, even number of the house and phone. Has written to it about him. He has understood all has apologized and more so did not do... smile.gif but it was vile... Mucks from my name have remained.

--------------------
p.s. Обладаю смехотворными способностями в рисовании... I have a ridiculous drawing ability...
I'm sorry. But this forum is my home and I write in Russian here. I write in English when I can!
Написать мне письмо можно здесь. You can send me a message here.
Add Name in post
+Quote Post
viannen
post Jan 30 2008, 07:19 AM
Post #7

Group Icon

shok.gif That's awful, Aiwan! And all that just because you put him on your "ignore" list ?!? That's terrible. I hope it won't be a shadow on your name for long. Anyone who sees your site and your wonderful Koloboks will realize that you are a good man. smile.gif

--------------------
Namasté,

Add Name in post
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th March 2021 - 05:04 PM