Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Making your own Koloboks, Getting started with Ulead GIF Animator
Fugz
post Feb 17 2007, 02:46 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,955

I love smilies.
There are some wonderful ones on the net - and some very awful ones.
This site has some of the best. I also like Fools and Millans very much.

I would like to try and learn how to do this but don't know where to start.
I have quite a few programs but I don't really use them much, print a few labels for things and put a name on a picture etc etc...

I have

ULEAD Gif Animator 5
CorelDraw Graphics suite 12
Macromedia Fireworks MX (2004)

And I could put Adobe Photoshop7 back on if I need it.

Do I have anything useful in this selection????

--------------------
If at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished.

Go to the top of the page
Add Name in post
+Quote Post
Just Cuz
post Feb 17 2007, 04:44 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Group: Artist
Member No.: 195

The only program in your list that I am familiar with is Ulead - that's what I use to animate.declare.gif

I know Aiwan, Laie and snoozer all use GIF Movie Gear; though Aiwan uses Ulead as well.
Not sure what connie, viannen or ViShenk@ use, but Elffy says he uses Microsoft Gif Aminator.

If you've never worked with animated images (GIFs) before, the first thing I would suggest is that you open an existing image with Ulead (or the animation program of your choice) so you have an idea of how it's put together - as in the frames required to make the image "come to life".

Then if you need some help getting started with objects (body parts) to use, Aiwan has a Graphics Development Kit available for download HERE. It can be used with either Ulead or PhotoShop.

--------------------
Aiwan is my hero.
Add Name in post
+Quote Post
Fugz
post Feb 17 2007, 05:52 AM
Post #3

TY for your help.

Yes I have opened some existing smilies in ULead and seen the frames - and how they operate. I have fiddled around with some and seen the effect of lengthening and shortening the times etc, modified the odd gif and placed them back in and seen the effect etc. That side of it makes some sense.

I have also dl the GDK which is why I asked about needing to reinstall Photoshop (which I always found amazingly complicated!). It initially looked like just a page of smilies, right? But then I found I can open it and copy and paste the various elements using Fireworks athough I did read that Ulead PhotoImpactwould open that format too.... and i guess Photoshop would for sure.

So starting small, if i wanted for example, to have a smilie open eyes... close eyes... stick out tongue and then smile, I make a whole series of images, say from one original little yellow face duplicated a number of times, modify each appropriately (presumably a whole number of smaller differences with a short time will give the smoothest sequence) linking them using the animator.

Now, am I right in thinking I can't make the modifications in ULEAD Gif Animator 5, but have to make them elsewhere and then import them back to animate them?

And this is going to sound really dumb - and I don't know the right terms etc, but at what "level" do you draw? If you wanted to change the colour of a smilie or make it blush would you zoom in and do it kinda square by square with pink, or "air brush" the pic or?

This post has been edited by Fugz: Feb 17 2007, 05:57 AM

--------------------

Add Name in post
+Quote Post
Just Cuz
post Feb 17 2007, 10:35 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Ok, opening an existing animation will give you an idea of how the frames work, but it's not exactly the same as when you make your own.

When creating your own image, you can manipulate elements within each frame rather than having to construct the entire frame as a whole.

See this little guy -->

Here's the actual UGA (Ulead Gif Animator) file used to make him. Attached File  Example_1.zip ( 4.24K ) Number of downloads: 1541

When you open the UGA, you'll see the object panel to the right-hand side of the screen. Notice that not all of the objects/elements/parts show up in every frame of the animation - you can turn them on and off or move them around to make the process easier than creating each individual frame completely beforehand.

Also notice that even though there are 10 frames in the animation, there are only 5 that are unique. Frames 1 & 3 are identical - as are frames 4 & 10, and 6 & 8. Frames 5, 7, and 9 are also the same. What I'm getting at is that often you'll use the same frame more than once in an animation, and when you do, there is a "duplicate frame" function so you can easily copy them when you need to.

By the way, all of the objects used in the example came directly from Aiwan's GDK.

You can make your own objects using whatever graphics program you're comfortable with. Apparently, Ulead has the ability to import/export frames directly to PhotoShop to make things easier, but since I don't have PS - I don't know exactly how that works. I just use MSPaint to draw and then drag&drop into Ulead. Whatever you do though - DON'T save any of your work as a JPG file - it'll ruin it! I usually save my MSPaint files as bitmaps till I load them into Ulead.

This post has been edited by Just Cuz: Aug 9 2007, 04:22 AM

--------------------
Aiwan is my hero.
Add Name in post
+Quote Post
Fugz
post Feb 17 2007, 03:51 PM
Post #5

Thank you very much for your efforts. I am an idiot, right.

I had found "duplicate" and I see some frames are the same.
But the rest - woooooooooooooosh - over my head.
Sorry.
TY for trying.
I can see (a little) what you mean about turn on and off element and I can make a frame of my own from those elements. I just don't see how you got the elements to the object panel in the first place and in the right - dunno - location I guess. It's chicken and egg problem to me atm to me.

And if I look at other finished smilies (saved as gif and then opened with ULEad) I usually see "an object" for each frame, ie frame 1 = object 1, frame 2 = object 2, etc - all slightly different to the previous, but where the object is a complete face - yellow + eyes + mouth + hair +..... - all see to be part of one image, not it's components. Oh I just don't have the words to explain my confusion.

I will try to dl a ULead Gif Animator manual LOL and keep fiddling and trying to figure it out.

This post has been edited by Fugz: Feb 18 2007, 12:46 AM

--------------------

Add Name in post
+Quote Post
Just Cuz
post Feb 18 2007, 02:13 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(Fugz)
I can see (a little) what you mean about turn on and off element and I can make a frame of my own from those elements. I just don't see how you got the elements to the object panel in the first place and in the right - dunno - location I guess. It's chicken and egg problem to me atm to me.
You can drag and drop objects/elements into Ulead from wherever you have the files stored on your PC, or clicking the "add image" icon in the upper toolbar. Once they're there, you can move them around by dragging them with your cursor in the main window, or specifying their coordinates (top - left position) in the object properties. Dragging is easier for the most part.

QUOTE(Fugz)
And if I look at other finished smilies (saved as gif and then opened with ULEad) I usually see "an object" for each frame, ie frame 1 = object 1, frame 2 = object 2, etc - all slightly different to the previous, but where the object is a complete face - yellow + eyes + mouth + hair +..... - all see to be part of one image, not it's components.
That's why I gave you a UGA file to look at. A completed GIF doen't show the actual elements when you open it - only the frames. I suggested you open a GIF just so you could see the interaction of the frames to make the animation happen. Most people who've never worked with GIFs have no idea how they're put together. Or even funnier, they think there's a magic program where you just throw in a still image and it'll do all the animating for you.

GIFs are sort of like mini movies - you are the story writer, director, make-up artist and set designer all in one.

--------------------
Aiwan is my hero.
Add Name in post
+Quote Post
Fugz
post Feb 18 2007, 03:14 AM
Post #7

The mist is clearing........ a little............... TY

So my best bet to start small is to open the GDK into Ulead Gif Animator, work out which objects I might use and change the stacking order by draging them all up to the top of the object manager panel (or delete the ones I don't want) and play from there.

Yup playing seems to be the way to go........

And up to page 22 of User Guide - not bad for someone who NEVER reads instructions.

ADDED: Nope I am getting no where and the guide stopped making any sense.

This post has been edited by Fugz: Feb 18 2007, 04:02 AM

--------------------

Add Name in post
+Quote Post
connie
post Feb 18 2007, 03:34 AM
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 301

I keep wanting to try Ulead.
I downloaded it, but its a trial and I just cannot purchase another program for this.
Thing is when I tried to run it, it told me my trial period was over and wouldnt let me into it.. ugh LOL

Im using Paint Shop Pro 7.0
Jasc Animation Shop (its not so bad but does lack some things)
Add Name in post
+Quote Post
Fugz
post Feb 18 2007, 03:59 AM
Post #9

I am so lost.
You said "You can drag and drop objects/elements into Ulead from wherever you have the files stored on your PC, or clicking the "add image" icon in the upper toolbar." I have the GDK. I opened it using the animator........ everything is "on" all objects show.

How do I use this to make a new thing?

--------------------

Add Name in post
+Quote Post
Just Cuz
post Feb 18 2007, 05:26 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member
Group Icon

The GDK can be a bit overwhelming for a beginner due to the large quantity of images and objects it contains.

Perhaps you'd be better off trying this second UGA I put together from it. --> Attached File  Example_2.zip ( 9.44K ) Number of downloads: 1291

It is the same animation as the first, but with a few more objects available and a slightly larger canvas.

This post has been edited by Just Cuz: Aug 9 2007, 04:24 AM

--------------------
Aiwan is my hero.
Add Name in post
+Quote Post
Fugz
post Feb 18 2007, 06:57 AM
Post #11

I had to go and lie in the sun for a while wacko.gif and eat ice cream nea.gif
I am going around in circles. The tension is growing, and it's stopped being fun cray.gif I didn't expect to learn in a few days but it's my total inability to grasp the basics, it seems, that is getting me down.

I read the gif animator user guide for a 4th time - getting the bits of picture into the Object manager panel seems beyond my comprehension. Then it says something about using the pick took to MOVE them into the work space and then DRAGGING to desired position. Its the move..... I click the object manager panel and its blue and...... yeah - so freaking what!!!!

Anyway I came back to try again - before seeing your reply - and in desperation I installed Photoimpact 12, opened the GDK in that and dragged bits of it into the workspace of the animator shok.gif ..... yellow circle - so far so good.... eyes.... hmmmmm - big white bits around......... mouth - same thing - am I to fill in these with yellow or is it some transparency thing? They don't have white on them in the GDK - how can dragging them 3 cm do this!!!!

BACK AGAIN AFTER EXAMPLE II

Okay - maybe a small step forward with your example II. Thank you again so much for your patience.
At least I can enter a room now without my husband leaving it to avoid me.......... "all this over little yellow things????"

I had a better one but damn program crashed but I was determined to remake it, even if only 1/3 as many frames as previously. It's kinda jerky but it's kinda going in the right direction maybe.... and it does sum me up atm!! Tearing my hair out.

wacko.gif Jo

This post has been edited by Fugz: Feb 18 2007, 06:58 AM

--------------------

Add Name in post
+Quote Post
Aiwan
post Feb 18 2007, 10:57 AM
Post #12

Don
Group Icon

Group: Godfather
Member No.: 1

Я сперва думал, что Fugz обыкновенный спамер. smile.gif Спасибо, Just Cuz! Я даже понять не могу ваш диалог, не то что бы ответить на вопросы Fugz. wacko.gif

2 Fugz. Рисовать смайлы сложно. Если вы не бросите, то можете добиться больших успехов. Но для этого надо много трудиться wink.gif

--------------------
p.s. Обладаю смехотворными способностями в рисовании... I have a ridiculous drawing ability...
I'm sorry. But this forum is my home and I write in Russian here. I write in English when I can!
Написать мне письмо можно здесь. You can send me a message here.
Add Name in post
+Quote Post
Just Cuz
post Feb 18 2007, 12:48 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member
Group Icon

I am doing my best to explain things Aiwan. You would likely do a better job than I if it were not for the language barrier. But I know that even with dilia's assistance it would be difficult since I do not believe she works with the animations herself and so would have difficulty with the translation.

You are correct in saying that making smilies is complicated to learn in the beginning. But although she is struggling a bit, I think you would agree that Fugz shows promise based on her first attempt. -->

QUOTE(Fugz)
I didn't expect to learn in a few days but it's my total inability to grasp the basics, it seems, that is getting me down.
Don't let it get to you. Sometimes you just have to walk away for a while when you something aggrivates you. Perhaps I'm not the best teacher - after all, that's YOUR job. mosking.gif

QUOTE(Fugz)
I read the gif animator user guide for a 4th time - getting the bits of picture into the Object manager panel seems beyond my comprehension.
In the UGA examples and in the GDK, everything is already in the panel - you just need to decide whether it's visible or not and then drag it into the position you want in each frame.
Perhaps to avoid confusion, we should forget about adding new elements for the moment and concentrate on working with what we have. wink.gif

QUOTE(Fugz)
Then it says something about using the pick tool to MOVE them into the work space and then DRAGGING to desired position. Its the move..... I click the object manager panel and its blue and...... yeah - so freaking what!!!!
I have to be honset, I don't use what they're calling the pick tool - I just make the object visible and then click and drag it around in the main window.

QUOTE(Fugz)
Anyway I came back to try again - before seeing your reply - and in desperation I installed Photoimpact 12, opened the GDK in that and dragged bits of it into the workspace of the animator shok.gif ..... yellow circle - so far so good.... eyes.... hmmmmm - big white bits around......... mouth - same thing - am I to fill in these with yellow or is it some transparency thing? They don't have white on them in the GDK - how can dragging them 3 cm do this!!!!
Can't help with that application since you're using a program I've never seen. The only thing I can suggest is that it doesn't support GIF transparency and so you're seeing the null space around the objects as "white bits".

QUOTE(Fugz)
Okay - maybe a small step forward with your example II. Thank you again so much for your patience.
At least I can enter a room now without my husband leaving it to avoid me.......... "all this over little yellow things????"
Oh, did I forget to mention that making smilies addictive? Obsession is only the first symptom. lol.gif

QUOTE(Fugz)
I'd say that's not bad for a first try. good.gif

QUOTE(Fugz)
I had a better one but damn program crashed but I was determined to remake it, even if only 1/3 as many frames as previously. It's kinda jerky but it's kinda going in the right direction maybe.... and it does sum me up atm!! Tearing my hair out.
Ok, two suggestions to help with that problem:
  1. Always save your work as a UGA file before clicking the Optimize tab. That way, in case something goes wrong, you don't lose it all.
  2. Always return to "Actual View" before clicking either the Preview or Optimize tabs. The only time I've had trouble with the program is when I switch tabs while zoomed in.

--------------------
Aiwan is my hero.
Add Name in post
+Quote Post
Aiwan
post Feb 18 2007, 08:26 PM
Post #14

Don
Group Icon

Group: Godfather
Member No.: 1

Это очень важная тема. Пожалуй ее можно будет переименовать и закрепить в ВАЖНЫЕ как урок по рисованию.

--------------------
p.s. Обладаю смехотворными способностями в рисовании... I have a ridiculous drawing ability...
I'm sorry. But this forum is my home and I write in Russian here. I write in English when I can!
Написать мне письмо можно здесь. You can send me a message here.
Add Name in post
+Quote Post
Fugz
post Feb 18 2007, 09:10 PM
Post #15

Wow TY for your long reply - really appreciate your efforts..... Am trying to take it all in.

It is probably good that I don't read Russian..... Aiwan sounds CROSS..... and that's a big gun he carries...... he must be appalled by my efforts to date.

Every time I type something here and press "Add reply" I am conscious that I am asking the dumbest of things.

My Gif animator prog crashes quite often - am getting into habit of saving often, as UGA.
Optimize tab..... uhho...... there is an optimize tab....... hey, hey, go nice on me - am a newbie. Optimize can be another lesson later LOL.

I will continue to walk away when i want to give up, but once that 2 L of ice cream is gone, it's gone!!!!!

Yes, in the GDK, everything is already in the panel - and as you say, you just need to decide whether it's visible or not and then drag it into the position you want in each frame. But the work space is huge..... it has to be for all the GDK. It took me ages to see that I had made some visible and other not - and that the smilie was somewhere off screen. How do I get around that - to have a smilie sized canvas yet still have access to the elements of the GDK. I tried having 2 instances of the program open but couldn't transfer between them - which was when I tried dragging or copying or pasting from the Photoimpact 12. It's Ulead also.... and in it there is no white around the objects. In it I can move them around and recombine them in there .... but I now know that I don't want to take a whole picture over to the animator, but need to assemble it there from the elements it will contain.
I get the general idea I think from your example II (which was great step forward and helped my morale) but there is still this HUGE unknown part about bringing in new stuff.... and I am going to get frustrated very soon working with just the same few pieces.... even though I know I should practice there first. I won't try to run before I can walk but..........

Waded my way through on line tutotials.... I can paint a wall with a brush (yawn!!!!). But useful because I learnt the difference between duplicating frames and duplicating objects - YAY!!!! Another small step forward.

Threw this - Рисовать смайлы сложно. Если вы не бросите, то можете добиться больших успехов. Но для этого надо много трудиться - into translator....

Yes!!! Not ready to give up yet! Need to work more - and harder......

I am always worried using on-line translators. I know "word for word" sometimes makes some terrible mistakes. But I try.....

Я сожалею, что я заполняю ваш форум моим мусором!

If I said something very bad or rude - forgive me - and blame http://translation2.paralink.com/

Fugz/Jo

This post has been edited by Fugz: Feb 18 2007, 09:03 PM

--------------------

Add Name in post
+Quote Post
Just Cuz
post Feb 19 2007, 02:36 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(Aiwan)
Это очень важная тема. Пожалуй ее можно будет переименовать и закрепить в ВАЖНЫЕ как урок по рисованию.
Aiwan - I am probably not the best instructor, but if you wish to pin this topic then I have no objection. pardon.gif

QUOTE(Fugz)
My Gif animator prog crashes quite often - am getting into habit of saving often, as UGA.
I don't know why that is happening other than perhaps your system doesn't have enough available RAM when you are running it.

QUOTE(Fugz)
Optimize tab..... uhho...... there is an optimize tab....... hey, hey, go nice on me - am a newbie. Optimize can be another lesson later LOL.
I'm so accustomed to using the Optimize panel when I save that I forget that you can also save from the file menu.

QUOTE(Fugz)
But the work space is huge..... it has to be for all the GDK. It took me ages to see that I had made some visible and other not - and that the smilie was somewhere off screen. How do I get around that - to have a smilie sized canvas yet still have access to the elements of the GDK.
You can reduce the canvas to a more manageable size - maybe 40x30 pixels - and then move all the objects so they are within that area. The only problem then will again be the sheer quantity of objects to choose from.

QUOTE(Fugz)
I get the general idea I think from your example II (which was great step forward and helped my morale) but there is still this HUGE unknown part about bringing in new stuff.... and I am going to get frustrated very soon working with just the same few pieces.... even though I know I should practice there first. I won't try to run before I can walk but..........
Ok, I've isolated a bunch of objects into individual sorted GIF files so that you can drop them in as you wish. Attached File  Smiley_Parts.zip ( 49.2K ) Number of downloads: 1270

To use them, open Ulead and set your blank canvas to 40x30 (or whatever size you like to work with) then open the "bases" folder and click on one of the files (Setting the folder options to "Thumbnail View" will make picking items easier.) and drag it over to the Ulead window. You should get a pop up message asking whether you want it in the current frame or to make a new frame - select current. Now the little body will show in your object panel, frame panel, and main window. You can drag it around the main window to wherever you want it.
Now open one of the other folders for the eyes, mouths, hands and do the same thing you did to get the body in place. Repeat for all the other objects you want in that frame.
Now, duplicate the frame and move any existing objets you want and/or hide them if you want to add different items and then drag and drop new objects in as you like.

This post has been edited by Just Cuz: Aug 9 2007, 04:27 AM

--------------------
Aiwan is my hero.
Add Name in post
+Quote Post
Fugz
post Feb 19 2007, 10:37 AM
Post #17

QUOTE(Just Cuz @ Feb 18 2007, 12:48 PM) [snapback]5779[/snapback]
Ok, two suggestions to help with that problem:
  1. Always save your work as a UGA file before clicking the Optimize tab. That way, in case something goes wrong, you don't lose it all.
  2. Always return to "Actual View" before clicking either the Preview or Optimize tabs. The only time I've had trouble with the program is when I switch tabs while zoomed in.

That's the one!!! good.gif It crashes on optimize tab when i am view - zoom in x5.
The sad thing was I didn't know what the optimize was doing so when I lose all I am well P&*#$@d off~~~
nea.gif

Okay - an evening "wasted" but enjoyed.
No where near satisfied with final effect but learning more each time.
I finally managed drag and drop into the animator!! I dragged and dropped every gif, lol, but I got them there.
Anyway I had a go.....
Am probably trying to add too much here rather than trying to keep it smooth and simple......... and need to work out how to turn the head a little like this nea.gif to see the ball coming back ftom the left....
But anyway.... need to work at these things still.

AHHHHH

And I have learnt something else - shadow only works if background is white. Teach me to try and be clever LOL!!!! Aw well, never mind!!!

This post has been edited by Fugz: Feb 19 2007, 10:42 AM

--------------------

Add Name in post
+Quote Post
Just Cuz
post Feb 20 2007, 03:11 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(Fugz)

Hehe... cute. biggrin.gif

You may have overdone it a bit with the number of different eyes used though.

--------------------
Aiwan is my hero.
Add Name in post
+Quote Post
Fugz
post Feb 20 2007, 06:21 AM
Post #19

For sure, lol. I was spoilt for choice..... got to use ALL!!!!
Will look at simplifying and "smoothing out" tonight.
It's a great way to avoid work! good.gif

--------------------

Add Name in post
+Quote Post
Fugz
post Feb 23 2007, 08:15 AM
Post #20

Well......... had to work too much for a few days - but took inspiration from my work.... funny how people are drawn to stick their fingers in the Bunsen burner flame

This post has been edited by Fugz: Feb 23 2007, 08:39 AM

--------------------

Add Name in post
+Quote Post

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd November 2017 - 01:49 PM