> We got Llamas!
MotherGoose
post May 11 2009, 09:16 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Group: Artist
Member No.: 2,664

To round out our new farm we got two Llamas this week!! Both are from rescue places and needed much help. After they have settled in for a couple of weeks we will "try" to shear their coats and trim their hoofs. mosking.gif Wish us luck.. they are not wanting to be caught.

So.. this is "Rosy." She is 10 years old. She lost her life long companion several months ago and has been in a goat rescue ranch since then. She is very distant and lost. Her front ankles have collapsed so she does not walk around much. Her teeth are over grown so she has not been eating much either. We will see if we can get her more comfortable and eating better when the groomer comes for a visit. wink.gif

This is "Hover." He is an eight year old galloping, prancing, head tossing, handsome stallion in the prime of his life. He is actually a "Llapaca", a mix between a Llama and an Alpaca. He was in rescue because he has a very strong "Guardian" instinct and was too bossy for his previous owners to handle. Llamas make perfect livestock guardians because they will stomp a coyote to death to protect their pasture companions. Our Nigerian Dwarf Goats are very small and vulnerable to predators, so are the chickens. We needed Hover here. good.gif

When he arrived he burst out of the trailer and ran two laps around the pasture then ran full speed directly at me. I didn't move, I kept a calm stare into his eyes. He veered off at the last second. OK... LOL We survived that test. He and I are becoming buddies now.

No matter how naughty Hover ever gets, he will always have my heart now. The third night they were here it poured down rain. Rosy will still not go in the barn, so Hover curled up next to her in the rain, put his front leg over her and covered her with his head and stayed there with her all night.

Go to the top of the page
Add Name in post
+Quote Post
alyur
post May 11 2009, 10:54 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Friends
Member No.: 3,586

Wow! good.gif
Lama it is very unusual animal for me (there isn't lamas in Ukraine). I saw it only in a zoo! biggrin.gif
Add Name in post
+Quote Post
dilia
post May 11 2009, 12:03 PM
Post #3

Main Assistant
Group Icon

Group: Friends
Member No.: 4

I've heard that Lamas can say "mama" Is it right?
Add Name in post
+Quote Post
Sweetie
post May 11 2009, 03:34 PM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,234

They are gorgeous! There is a farm here where they raise and breed them. I love Llamas. I like the way they look at us. They seem to say "better work hard if you want to be my friend" rofl.gif

Poor Rosy, with time she should feel more secure with you. Animals are always grateful to those who feed, and help them. Well... most of the time biggrin.gif

Add Name in post
+Quote Post
MotherGoose
post May 12 2009, 12:39 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member
Group Icon

QUOTE (alyur @ May 11 2009, 12:54 AM) *
Wow! good.gif
Lama it is very unusual animal for me (there isn't lamas in Ukraine). I saw it only in a zoo! biggrin.gif

They are becoming more popular in the U.S. but they are new to me too. My heart is full of joy to have all my animals here on the farm. tender.gif

QUOTE (dilia @ May 11 2009, 02:03 AM) *
I've heard that Lamas can say "mama" Is it right?

I do not know Dilia? I have heard Rosy hum a soft low sound and Hover has used a high pitch trumpet sound as an alarm, but that is all I have hear from them. If they talk more I will let you know.

They are not like the goats who "talk" all the time. According to the goats no one has ever fed them, EVER! rofl.gif

QUOTE (Sweetie @ May 11 2009, 05:34 AM) *
They are gorgeous! There is a farm here where they raise and breed them. I love Llamas. I like the way they look at us. They seem to say "better work hard if you want to be my friend" rofl.gif

Poor Rosy, with time she should feel more secure with you. Animals are always grateful to those who feed, and help them. Well... most of the time biggrin.gif

This is true Sweetie! mosking.gif They are beautiful an aloof. If you are very very lucky and work very very hard at earning their trust, they "might" allow you to feed them or scratch their back. lol.gif I just read they do not even have much physical contact with their babies. They do however form strong bonds and care deeply for their "family," all the animals and humans here will be come part of their family.

I feel bad for Rosy too. We will be picking up some Llama aspirin this week to help with the pain in her ankles. We also decided we will build several rain shelters out in the pasture for her so she can get out of the weather and not have to walk far. We will keep her comfortable and she will keep Hover happy. Sounds like a fair deal to me.
Add Name in post
+Quote Post
DrDeisel
post May 12 2009, 01:22 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 4,363

Oh, how sad that poor Rosy lost her companion, but how wonderful that she has found you and may have found a new friend in Hover. Hover sounds like a wonderful partner for her, and so protective already. I'm certain that in time she will come to love you - how could she not? And it's very good that she is already familiar with goats - they will become part of the family much sooner that way.

I hope that her ankles will be better very soon - poor baby.

--------------------
Cheers,
Add Name in post
+Quote Post
Sweetie
post May 12 2009, 03:13 AM
Post #7

Here are 2 interesting links about Llamas. They seem to be more sociable than I thought. Maybe you will end up with a little cria if Hover really likes Rosy biggrin.gif

http://www.tablerockllamas.com/faq.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llama
Add Name in post
+Quote Post
MotherGoose
post May 12 2009, 06:03 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member
Group Icon

QUOTE (DrDeisel @ May 11 2009, 03:22 PM) *
Oh, how sad that poor Rosy lost her companion, but how wonderful that she has found you and may have found a new friend in Hover. Hover sounds like a wonderful partner for her, and so protective already. I'm certain that in time she will come to love you - how could she not? And it's very good that she is already familiar with goats - they will become part of the family much sooner that way.

I hope that her ankles will be better very soon - poor baby.

It is good she knows and likes goats. It helps them all feel safe and secure. I'll have to get some pictures of them all together. It's a HOOT!! Huge tall Llamas and tiny dwarf goats all being buddies. lol.gif

Sadly her ankles will never get better. There is no way to fix it once they collapse. We can only give her a home and keep her comfortable. I am sure that's why she was left at the goat rescue.

QUOTE (Sweetie @ May 11 2009, 05:13 PM) *
Here are 2 interesting links about Llamas. They seem to be more sociable than I thought. Maybe you will end up with a little cria if Hover really likes Rosy biggrin.gif

http://www.tablerockllamas.com/faq.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llama

Thank you for the links!! good.gif

No crias here, Hover has been neutered, darn it. lol.gif Rosy could not carry a baby anyway due to her bad legs.

Add Name in post
+Quote Post
iamjustme
post May 12 2009, 06:28 AM
Post #9

Group Icon

Group: Kolobok Fan
Member No.: 2,318

Thanks for the sharing MotherGoose! Good luck with those lovely Llamas my friend!

--------------------
Add Name in post
+Quote Post
ninapooh
post May 12 2009, 05:30 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

Member No.: 2,264

lovely story MG. Here you can see who the people with true hearts are, and I mean you!

Please keep us up to date with how they get on

--------------------
Add Name in post
+Quote Post
MarieAnne
post May 13 2009, 08:10 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 3,996

We have a llama farm in our little corner of the state. and our local county fair always has llamas in it from that farm and several people who own them as well.

thanks for the pictures....

--------------------
MarieAnne...the Mocha Momma

Add Name in post
+Quote Post
STAR
post May 13 2009, 04:17 PM
Post #12

Group Icon

Member No.: 2,422

very nice llamas

Godd luck with them MotherGoose

--------------------
sorry for my english....
Add Name in post
+Quote Post
mystic cat
post May 15 2009, 11:23 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,657

clapping.gif I love your Llamas! They are sweet natured looking!
That is the fun of farming , having animals that love you and appreciate your care.
It was a wonderful way to grow up having cows,chickens goats.

Beautiful post, MotherGoose! Thank you for sharing! friends.gif

--------------------
Add Name in post
+Quote Post
MotherGoose
post May 16 2009, 09:19 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member
Group Icon

QUOTE (iamjustme @ May 11 2009, 08:28 PM) *
Thanks for the sharing MotherGoose! Good luck with those lovely Llamas my friend!

Thank you Imjustme! give_rose.gif

QUOTE (ninapooh @ May 12 2009, 07:30 AM) *
lovely story MG. Here you can see who the people with true hearts are, and I mean you!

Please keep us up to date with how they get on

Ninapooh, It is always a joy to see you post. Thank you so much for kind comments.

QUOTE (STAR @ May 13 2009, 06:17 AM) *
very nice llamas

Godd luck with them MotherGoose

Thank you so much Star! drinks.gif

QUOTE (mystic cat @ May 15 2009, 01:23 PM) *
clapping.gif I love your Llamas! They are sweet natured looking!
That is the fun of farming , having animals that love you and appreciate your care.
It was a wonderful way to grow up having cows,chickens goats.

Beautiful post, MotherGoose! Thank you for sharing! friends.gif

Oh you were a lucky child Mystic Cat, to grow up on a farm. I am glad we have our grand daughter here with us.

We have decided to "Homestead" as much as possible. This means that we are trying to go back to the best of the old ways of life. Of course we still have out internet. wink.gif Both hubby and I had good jobs in the city, but we decided to make this change to trying to provide for ourselves and knowing the peace of mind that brings. It's hard work and I am getting older fast and have been sick and in pain, but it is exactly what I want to be doing.

I am surprised and delighted so many have found the posts interesting. I will keep you up dated on how things go. Hair cuts for "Wooly Mammoth" Llamas next week end! lol.gif I will take pictures.
Add Name in post
+Quote Post
mys
post May 17 2009, 05:53 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 4,226

cool story

--------------------
Add Name in post
+Quote Post
mystic cat
post May 17 2009, 06:31 PM
Post #16

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,657

MotherGoose, We have been trying to raise our own foods, such as fruits and veggies also, really fun, but wew, harder on my old bones than it use to be for me as a kid! lol

I find it lots of fun, but my back and legs give out one me at times!
Please keep us updated on your llamas, they sound like fun! friends.gif

--------------------
Add Name in post
+Quote Post
MotherGoose
post May 18 2009, 10:39 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member
Group Icon

QUOTE (mys @ May 16 2009, 07:53 PM) *
cool story

OOOOOOOH!!! A Llama! That's great! I love it. clapping.gif I don't think I have ever seen a Llama graphic before. Thank you! good.gif

QUOTE (mystic cat @ May 17 2009, 08:31 AM) *
MotherGoose, We have been trying to raise our own foods, such as fruits and veggies also, really fun, but wew, harder on my old bones than it use to be for me as a kid! lol

I find it lots of fun, but my back and legs give out one me at times!
Please keep us updated on your llamas, they sound like fun! friends.gif

Oh man.. I know what you mean Carol. It is rewarding in so many ways though, well worth pushing past the pain. I think if we do not keep being active in spite of it, we will wither faster. friends.gif

So.... we knew Hover was a very alpha boy with strong guardian instincts and this was trouble for him and his owners in the past. lol.gif This is why he was in rescue.

He is not mean spirited, but pretty sure he rules the world, or at least the pasture. lol.gif

I have spent my life doing rescue for dogs of a very special kind, bully breeds with aggression issues, so hubby and I were well prepared for what we knew would come. biggrin.gif

Mr Bear (my hubby) was out in the pasture taking some hay to Rosy and Hover. Just working on making friends. Hover is now keeping himself between everyone and Rosy and not letting her get treats. Mr Bear reached around him to hand Rosy a snack and Hover rushed forward and spit right in Bear's face. Without a moments hesitation Bear slapped him in the face for spitting, pointed his finger right at his nose and started walking forward. Hover jumped and spun, and spit and ran back wards all the while Bear is still walking towards him quickly. This spinning, spitting, back wards running, powerful forward walking and pointing continued around the entire 4 acre pasture almost back to where they started. Then Hover just stopped and screamed like a girl! At that point Mr Bear just walked off.

This was a man to man stand off. I am certain no one has ever stood up to Hover before and yet that is exactly what he needed. The message is, you are not the boss, you may not misbehave, and no one is going to kill you.

Note: Least anyone should think you should not slap an animal, remember these guys are in danger of being put down because no one can handle them. I would prefer they live and learn to be social.

So.. Hover is now a less bouncy Hover, a more humble Hover, a thinking about his place in the world Hover, and we shall see what comes of that.

Mr Bear got a shower and cleaned off the Llama slime he was covered in.

And, I am still having a good laugh about the entire affair.
Add Name in post
+Quote Post
Sweetie
post May 18 2009, 11:06 PM
Post #18

This is hilarious

And, I am still having a good laugh about the entire affair

I assume Mr. Bear is your hubby's nickname. Is it? I am just curious, because I call my hubby Mr. Bear
Add Name in post
+Quote Post
MotherGoose
post May 18 2009, 11:51 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member
Group Icon

QUOTE (Sweetie @ May 18 2009, 01:06 PM) *
I assume Mr. Bear is your hubby's nickname. Is it? I am just curious, because I call my hubby Mr. Bear

NO WAY?? That's just to wild! Yes.. that is my nickname for my adorable man. See, I knew I liked you. friends.gif

QUOTE (Sweetie @ May 18 2009, 01:06 PM) *

Yes.. Yes I am.

Add Name in post
+Quote Post
Sweetie
post May 19 2009, 02:02 AM
Post #20

Funny things happen sometimes. Last year an alarm system company called to offer their products. I said that I did not need one because our house was already well protected. The guy asked what I meant by that. My answer was "I have a bear at home". I am still wondering why he never called back unknw.gif

Add Name in post
+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th April 2021 - 05:22 AM